* This Free Forum Is Sponsored By DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building! Please Visit www.dwmsracing.com

photo c1097c8a-2769-4243-a1a8-dfba1ecd46fe_zpsa3c54443.jpg

Author Topic: Three wheels on my wagon  (Read 4992 times)

February 09, 2012, 04:22:28 AMReply #60 on

Offline beachcomber

• Beachcomber
Back in the day when most outfits were transport rather than pleasure, there were some absolute lash ups - literally.

There were all sorts of peculiar angles of lean between bike and chair. It wasn't until the early - mid 60's when cheap cars arrived on the scene - along with the infamous "drip" [ credit ] that they started dissappearing off our roads. That's where we stepped in for the more sporting versions that were going cheap.  A double adult chair was worth nothing, and a lot of them became chicken huts or storage down at the local allotment [ public plot of land for veg growing ]. Even a sports chair could be bought for next to nothing.

At first all we had to go by were the tips in the motorcycle mags - regurgitated every couple of months -"How to attach and align your sidecar".

We were very lucky as I had a good relationship with local dealer and race entrant Tom Kirby. In turn he had a couple of mechanics who raced sidecar outfits. I spent every spare hour down there helping them with their own outfits, and setting up customer machines. Very valuable knowledge - most of it still retained !!
"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left"

February 09, 2012, 04:54:13 PMReply #61 on

Offline Erskine

Got amongst it this afternoon.
Took the chair off and welded on a tacho bracket.

Then, bearing in mind the constraints set by a non adjustable angle of front main diagonal mount tube, set it with a knats bollock of lean in (PJ's suggestion) which has given 20mm - 3/4" ish of toe in.

I tried mounting the chair higher but it put the diagonal tube out of range to connect to the head.
Sparked it up, after a bit of panting (doesn't like the cold) and risked a gentle tootle around with out screwing my shoulder up.
Quite a difference, I could keep it straight with my finger tips rather than hauling, and it felt less unbalanced turning towards the chair.
That was at 5mph.

February 17, 2012, 05:47:48 PMReply #62 on

Offline Erskine

Had a go last weekend with a willing victim in the chair. However then fun was cut short when the torque arm lug sheared off the rear brake back plate. I still can't work out how or why it happened, other than it was -10 Celsius and there could have been an inherent weakness? But it happened at low speed going down a not too steep slope and there was an easy 6" to spare before getting impaled on a metal gate post so all was good. I replaced the wheel with one I had ready and waiting to go on, from a '70s CB125 that at some time had been rebuilt with a British rim and heavy duty double butted spokes. I put new bearings in and drilled it for a rim lock as well.

This week I paint stripped the aluminium panels on the chair and bolted the old seat on to it as a pad.
I was going to run it up the hill to take some photos for y'all when I realised the front tyre was flat. Pumped it up and could hear all the signs of a perished valve stem. So that's tomorrows job  >:(

February 17, 2012, 07:29:28 PMReply #63 on

Offline Hoofhearted

At -10 Celsius I'd be perished too!  Glad to see you are up and about.  How's the shoulder?  Better I hope.

February 18, 2012, 03:39:23 AMReply #64 on

Offline beachcomber

• Beachcomber
That passenger doesn't seem sufficiently innebriated to get on there ........... ;)

February 18, 2012, 08:37:09 AMReply #65 on

Offline Erskine

The trapped nerve has been slowly releasing following multiple visits to the Chiro and the handing over of much folding stuff, i.e. enough to have bought a big bore kit and big valve head  :(
I thought I'd knackered it again when what was meant to be a gentle bit of show jumping turned into roller coater bronco session but I can walk normally today and managed to dress without the aid of a wall, so looking good.
I'm on a mission to get my own set of tyre levers now.

February 25, 2012, 01:12:31 PMReply #66 on

Offline Erskine

Here ya go Glenn  :D

Paint stripped the ally panels, fitted a new tube and rim lock up front, not started it for a week....
Full choke first kick and sounding like a fire cracker back fires and detonates itself into life.

With the 50kg block firmly strapped in the chair I did a little trip off the single track lanes and on to the B roads. (wide enough for traffic each way). Experienced my first sweeping bends at a heady 20 - 25 mph and all held together and the combo behaved well.

Then I unloaded the concrete block and took a passenger out around the lanes, bloody brilliant, still grinning.
The handling improved even more and the engine even coped with a good hill, kept it in second gear and the revs up around 6k and it toddled up easily, although I did have to brace the steering a little as it dragged the chair up with it.

My friend stayed seated through out and said it was quite a comfortable ride and enjoyed the experience.

TJ, if you're reading this, I've sent you a PM on this forum.

February 25, 2012, 04:15:24 PMReply #67 on

Offline beachcomber

• Beachcomber

February 25, 2012, 06:01:26 PMReply #68 on

Offline revheadgl

• Glenn.
That is just so cool.  Glad its all finally coming together for you.

Any further plans?
Glenn.

February 25, 2012, 06:54:33 PMReply #69 on

Offline Erskine

That is just so cool.  Glad its all finally coming together for you.

Any further plans?

Yup, find some expanded mesh from somewhere and fill in the base to match.
Paint all the tubing black and put some protective foam on the front and rear struts.
Get a nice thick pad upholstered for the chair, and maybe a second pad that runs down the front of the chair mudguard.
Mount the reg. plate on the chair as a mud guard extension.
Wire up a brake light and the horn to the gennie, and wire up a 'plug in' system to throw on lights when required.
Possibly some slightly heavier springs on the rear dampers or lighter shock on the chair, the new yss rear shocks are in fact very good and have superb damping.
Maybe do a 1 - 2" sw. arm stretch long term as well as 150cc kit.
Long long term ........ get a gy200 crank, spacer under the cylinder and max it up to 200cc, have the starter ring attached to the fly wheel and balanced up for extra low end donk. Longer push rods, maybe a pumper carb. Fit a decompresser some how????
And generally have fun on it ........ everything is replaceable so no reason that it should wear out.
Messing with the engine to increase capacity defo floats my boat, but keeping it low compression and good fuel economy.
Thoughts?

February 25, 2012, 07:35:40 PMReply #70 on

Offline revheadgl

• Glenn.
Thats still a fair list haha. All above will be good. Maybe you should just do the engine once though...just go 200 from the beginning.....it will save some work.

Just looking at the sidecar wheel...and just a thought. How about turning around 180 degrees and running a brake on the inside. You could lock it off the the chair chassis and run a split cable system?

You can do the seat yourself. Get some 2way stretch vinyl from an upholsterer, make up some ply bases, cut the foam and staple it on. It is surprisingly easy to get a good result.

Fitting decomp would be an excersise I would think. What about keeping an eye out for a complete 200 out of a pitbike or some such? Might not cost any more doing it that way?

Keep up the good work..you have definitely built something unique and special here.

Cheers mate.

Glenn

Glenn.

February 25, 2012, 08:00:08 PMReply #71 on

Offline Erskine

Yo Glenn, shamone bro.
I'd like to brake the side car wheel, I think it's off a C50/70/90 cub so should be able to get a brake plate.
But how to actuate it.
If it were an old brit bike with the brake on the left, I could do a tractor type of double pedal and they could be set next to each other.
should it run to a brake lever on the chair sitting along side the gear change?

February 25, 2012, 08:18:53 PMReply #72 on

Offline revheadgl

• Glenn.
I cant see from the pics where the pedal is situated. But I was thinking a cable if possible or run the pedal shaft througn under the swingarm to a lever on the left side, then cable actuated?
Glenn.

February 25, 2012, 08:25:10 PMReply #73 on

Offline Swapmeet Louie

• ouch...?
 erskine, Maybe rig a dual cable actuated set up...? similar to a Zuke Gt 550 on each cable...
kinda like this... ruff sketch but, I think you can get the idea...?

Joe - Owner/Operator of Joes Performance and DWMS Racing. Offering Custom Fabrication, Polishing, Engraving, Engine Building, And Complete In House Motorcycle Building.
www.dwmsracing.com

February 25, 2012, 08:26:05 PMReply #74 on

Offline Swapmeet Louie

• ouch...?
sorry glenn... we are  thinking along the same lines...
Joe - Owner/Operator of Joes Performance and DWMS Racing. Offering Custom Fabrication, Polishing, Engraving, Engine Building, And Complete In House Motorcycle Building.
www.dwmsracing.com